You may have received a fresh flower bouquet for your birthday and intend to adorn your room with this beautiful gift. However, as with all fresh flowers, they will eventually wilt and die out.
But that does not mean you can’t do something to preserve them so they can last longer. Taking proper care of your flowers will significantly increase the lifespan of these delicate flowers. We have compiled a list of methods to make fresh flowers last longer.
1. Remove the packaging from your bouquet and cut the stem at an angle before placing them into a vase with water. This increases the surface area and allows maximum absorption of water for the plant.
2. Remove all leaves from the lower part of the flower and ensure none of it is submerged in the water. Leaves that are in the water are more prone to promote bacteria growth and will not make fresh flowers last longer.
3. Check the water level daily and make sure to change out the water every day.
4. Keep your vase of flowers in a cool and dry environment and away from the sun. This allows the flowers to live longer. Certain flowers such as the hydrangeas are heat sensitive and will wilt quickly under the heat.
5. The secret to keeping fresh cut flowers fresh is to ensure there is little bacteria growth in the water. Certain florists may provide a small packet of flower food. You may empty the packet into your vase of water to provide the necessary nourishment for your flowers and keep bacteria at bay.
6. You may add a few drops of vodka to the vase water for antibacterial properties along with a teaspoon of sugar for nourishment. Change the water every other day, refreshing the vodka and sugar each time.
7. Replacing water with 7UP in your vase of flowers can make them last longer. The sugar present in this citrus soda provides them with nourishment. Add a few drops of bleach into the 7up to prevent bacteria buildup. Make sure to change out the 7up every other day.
8. Remember to wash your vase with soap and water. The presence of slime or dark/white spots on the vase indicates bacteria buildup and will cause fresh flowers to wilt quicker.
We hope the tips we have shared have equipped you with the necessary knowledge to preserve your fresh flowers. So when you next receive a bouquet of roses as a present, don’t fret about them withering. By following the steps we have shared, you can preserve and admire their natural beauty for a long time.
Flowers and Kisses is an online florist in Singapore that aims to provide flower bouquets of the highest quality. Whether you are looking for a bouquet of flowers for your wedding anniversary or as a get well soon gift, you can rest assured you will only receive the freshest flowers, as they are handpicked by our florists every morning at the flower market.
If you require help in picking out the ideal flower bouquet, do not hesitate to contact us today! Our experienced florists will be delighted to assist you with selecting the perfect flower bouquet for your special occasion.